Speech Therapist | Somerset West | Et Al Therapy & Learning Centre
Carin W. ten Cate- Senior Speech Therapist
1. At which university did you study? I qualified as a speech therapist at the University of Pretoria and followed this up with a post graduate diploma in Pre-primary teaching at Unisa as this age group has always been of interest to me.
2. When did you join the Et Al team? After working with a variety of different populations I started Et Al Therapy Centre in 2004 in conjunction with an OT, a psychologist and a remedial therapist. In the 14 years that have followed, we have grown Et Al into a Therapy and Learning Centre that focuses on high quality service provision in a teamwork setting.
3. Which settings do you currently work in? I have worked in schools, pre-schools, playschools, hospitals, care centres and homes. Currently I provide speech therapy services at three large primary schools in the Helderberg Basin as well as various smaller playschools. As I have a lot of experience I also spend a significant amount of time mentoring younger therapists.
4. What do you enjoy most about your job? I love working with school-age children and find working as a team with the teacher and parents highly gratifying. The best thing every day is to see the children’s faces light up when they see me coming to fetch them…
5. Fun fact about you: I am still waiting for the grandchildren I have ordered to materialize therefore I borrow other people’s grandchildren to have fun with!
Julie Beavon- Speech Therapist
1. At which university did you study? I received a BA in Speech and Hearing Therapy from WITS University in 1991.
2. When did you join the Et Al team? I am a part-time Speech Therapist who joined the Et Al team in 2004.
3. Which settings do you currently work in? I work in a school-based setting with pre-primary and primary school children, in the areas of articulation, auditory perception, language, fluency and voice.
4. What do you enjoy most about your job? I love having the opportunity to help children to develop the vital skills they need for communication in their social and learning environments.
5. Fun fact about you: I love crafting as long as I have a pattern to follow!
Courtney de Villiers – Speech Therapist
1. At which university did you study? I qualified with a Bachelor in Speech and Language Therapy at the University of Stellenbosch in 2015. I am currently completing my Masters in Early Childhood Intervention through University of Pretoria.
2. When did you join the Et Al team? I am the newest member of the team as I joined Et Al as a full-time speech therapist in September 2018.
3. Which settings do you currently work in? I work at various schools in the area as well as at the Et Al centre. I currently work with children between the ages of 3 and 14 years old, with varying diagnoses of articulation errors, language delays, learning difficulties, dyselxia and autism. I have a special interest in feeding therapy and early intervention with pre-term infants in the NICU.
4. What do you enjoy most about your job? I love working within a team, working on the child holistically while empowering parents to facilitate skills taught therapy within the child’s natural environments and daily routines.
5. Fun fact about you: I love animals and almost studied to become a veterinarian
Elani Matthee – Speech Therapist
- At which university did you study? I completed my Bachelors degree in Speech, Language and Hearing Therapy at the University of Stellenbosch in 2018.
- When did you join the Et Al team? I am a relatively new member of the team. I joined Et Al as a speech therapist in July 2020.
- Which settings do you currently work in? I work at Et Al Centre, as well as at various schools in the area. I currently work with children from 3 years old and upwards. I especially enjoy language therapy, as well as stuttering intervention.
- What do you enjoy most about your job? I love working with children. It is very rewarding being able to help a child gain confidence through improving their communication skills. I also enjoy working within a team – and what a lovely team we are fortunate to have!
Chelsea Dunn – Speech Therapist
- At which university did you study? I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology from the University of Cape Town in 2018.
- When did you join the Et Al team? I joined the Et Al team as a Speech Therapist in May 2021.
- Which settings do you currently work in? I work at the Et Al centre and in the school-based setting where I see children in pre-primary and primary school.
- What do you enjoy most about your job? I love working with children and their families in helping them to improve in their communication skills. It brings me great joy to witness their growth in confidence and language skills whilst working together in a comprehensive team.
- Fun fact about you? I am a complete adrenaline junkie and adventurer.